Monday, June 3, 2019

The Editorial Board

I seldom read the editorials in my daily paper, the
Corporate Democrat. They are seldom written by people expert in the topic under discussion. I read today’s very long, tedious editorial because it was about the need for Presidential candidates to take up reforming our education system. 

This was quite a long editorial that attacked the Democrats for lacking a vibrant reform plan. It demanded accountability and strong principals. It frowned on increasing teacher pay and unions, and it contained not a single sentence on education theories. 


There are many respectable theories of education. Some go back to Socrates and some depend on recent advances in psychology and the variety of ways different people learn things. An editorial on the reform of education without a discussion of how people actually learn things is unrewarding. And I would tell this to the newspaper pundits, but they don’t respond to anything I write. 

No comments: