Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Resistance Is Futile

There’s a debate going on between those who believe in assimilation (the melting pot) and those who believe in identity politics, except that nearly everyone is on the same side. The Right opposes assimilation for racist reasons. The Left opposes assimilation because why should everyone act like White people?


I agree with everyone else in defending identity politics. Meanwhile, when it’s time for lunch, I eat more salsa than ketchup. I’m not entirely loyal to my European identity. I love potatoes, corn, tomatoes, Lima beans, chocolate and vanilla, none of which were developed in Europe. I eat sushi, for God's sake. I admire Beyonce and the old Chuck Berry songs and the athletic women and men who represent America in the Summer Olympics. I can't stop watching Black comics and the Warriors. I voted for Obama in the primaries. I try to support my identity group, but it might be the case that resistance is futile.

No comments: