Friday, May 17, 2013

Painless Gun Laws

I was watching a TV talking head tonight, a nice looking woman and one who is rational for a Republican. She did okay on several issues, but when the discussion turned to guns, she grew loud in her complaint that Democrats were attempting to take away her second amendment rights and compile a gun registry and make her prove she wasn't a criminal before she could buy a 30 round clip and so forth. And I finally had a thought. Here it is.  

About 50 years ago I decided to buy a handgun, so I drove to the store in my Ford pickup, paid out some cash, and then I waited while the store ran a background check. That took about a week. I guess--in retrospect--it was a cooling off period. Then I picked up the pistol, which I still own. Here's the thing. It did not occur to me that I should protest having my background checked or being put on a gun registry. Why would I care? I'm not planning to refight the Civil War with my handgun. I wish I could talk to the talking head and reassure her. My car is registered with the state. My dogs were always licensed. I've been a registered gun owner for 50 years. It's painless.

No comments: