Saturday, May 18, 2013

Hillbillies vs. Rednecks

I watched a program on American idioms and learned more about the Scotch-Irish (which the grammatically tender program insisted on calling "Scots-Irish," which was not their name in the States or in Canada). Anyway, one of my grandfathers was Scotch-Irish, although he mostly referred to himself as Irish, as was apparently the custom. He put on an orange shirt on St. Patrick's day. You name any country singer (Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton) and he or she will turn out to be of Scotch-Irish descent. I learned new stuff. For example, "y'all" is a contraction of the English plural "ye" and "all" and it dates back to the old country. Two other terms surprised me by dating back to Scotland and Ireland. "Hillbillies" is a term for the hill people of Scotland who backed King William; "redneck" began as a name for Scottish Presbyterians, who wore red scarves around their necks to show allegiance to their cause. My mother's family was mostly Catholic Irish, so I remain divided.

No comments: