Friday, May 17, 2013

Obama Derangement Syndrome

 I live in a county and town that is solidly Democratic. Here the elections are usually contested by Progressive Democrats (on one side) vs. Corporate Democrats (who run with Republican backing). As I returned from the drugstore this pleasant afternoon, I passed a couple standing behind a table holding signs asking people to impeach President Obama. Several posters of the President wearing a Hitler mustache decorated their table. I assume they had petitions to sign.  

I've been known to waste my time in related ways. Weekly I stand in a vigil with a local peace group (in a much better location). We began the vigil months before Bush attacked Iraq, knowing at the time that nothing ordinary people did was going to prevent war. These days at our vigil, people walking or driving by throw us peace signs and honk their horns. 

The voters around here want out of Afghanistan. We are grateful the President said no to the advice from his entire security staff, including Hillary Clinton, that we should plunge deeper into the civil war in Syria. I'm unsure what to say about the impeachment folk. Their petition won't work in our district or influence our Congress member, a veteran of Vietnam. They have a right to petition the government. Maybe it's a good thing that people so divorced from reality occupy themselves doing something useless.


No comments: