Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Kavanaughs

A private school for rich kids looked down on the road where I grew up. Public school kids didn't interact with the private school kids often, but I encountered some at a high school dance I went to with an attractive girl who eventually ended up doing TV news in a big city. At that age I knew nothing about girls, and she had no reason to be interested in me (and she wasn't).

One of the private school guys began to pester my date. Like Supreme Court Justice Boofer Kavanaugh,  Charlton Dude was a drunk, socially lame even with his buddies and a semi-deranged, unattractive butthead with nothing going for him except money. My date did not like him and said so. She asked him to leave her alone.

He wouldn't go away, so I told him to get lost. He challenged me to go outside. I had never been in a real fist fight, but some reason I found this challenge agreeable.

We walked out onto the night lawn, followed by his friends and mine. At the time I knew nothing about fighting except what my father, a machinist, had told me, which was always get in the first punch (often decisive) and hit your opponent in the nose as hard as you could.

My ancestry had any number of street fighters in it.

I set myself, and Charlton yelled some curses and took a run at me. Even I could see that this strategy might betray him. Maybe he thought he was in a football game.  He basically ran his face into my fist. I hit him in the face as hard as I  could, getting both cheeks into it. He landed on his back with a broken nose.  Fight over.

As Mike Tyson said, every fighter has a plan until he gets hit in the mouth.

Charlton was a guy much like Brett Kavanaugh, who to this day makes his own friends cringe. 

No comments: