Thursday, February 21, 2019

Why I Vote for Democrats

Why do I, an independent, vote for Democrats?  Well, for one thing, the  national Democratic leadership has made elected independents like Senators King and Sanders welcome in their caucus. In a sense they represent me, and I vote in a state in which a third of the people registered are independents.

It's hard to say who speaks for independents, so it might as well be me. 


Below are three reasons I vote for Democrats in Presidential elections.


1.  The third party candidates, sometimes excellent people, are not qualified to serve as President. They lack the experience needed to run our dubious system. I don't cast protest votes--think about the protest votes in Brexit and the 2016 election of President Spanklyn T. Borderline. 


2.  We should make fighting global warming our first priority. The Republicans pretend not to believe in science. The Democrats, in contrast, will make global warming a middling priority if it doesn't raise gasoline prices.


3.  People deserve health care. The Republicans will let them die. The Democrats will support health care for a majority of people if it doesn't cost a lot.


My strongest argument is that the Democrats are on the right side, sort of. They will take stands on progressive issues if they aren't too hard. So vote for Democrats instead of Trump.

No comments: