Thursday, November 14, 2013

New Scandinavian Cooking


When my children were small, I cooked macaroni and cheese badly for them, and since then my skills and interest have declined. I now cook oatmeal (like Wittgenstein, who ate oatmeal several times a day). That's about it. Susan, my wife, is a first-rate cook who is obsessed with the idea that I learn to be her personal chef, but that is another story. It is unlikely to happen. In this story I want to recommend a TV show called NEW SCANDINAVIAN COOKING. 

I suspect that I am watching reruns of a show made about five years ago, but I find it surprisingly entertaining. The host of the show is a Swedish dude who travels about Scandinavia and so on, standing outdoors in the snow and cooking really fine looking food. I have no idea why he cooks outdoors. Maybe all Swedes cook outdoors. The rural scenery is excellent. Sometimes he travels by horse. Sometimes he is joined by a striking woman, and in certain shows it is summer, and open-faced sandwiches in a Finnish style fill the bill.

No comments: