Thursday, February 16, 2012

Whitney Houston Becomes a Mormon


Two of my best grandparents were Mormons, so I will not be shocked to learn that Whitney Houston has joined the faith. In the Mormon church, you can baptize dead people, and many Mormons do that for their loved ones or, out of kindness, for other dead people who might need help reaching the Mansions of Bliss. For example (no joke) Hitler and Stalin are now Mormons and so are roughly 600,000 Jews murdered in Hitler's Holocaust. It seems safe to assume that Julius Caesar is a Mormon, along with Pope John, Malcolm X, Theda Bara, John Adams, Kim Kardashian's grandmother, Edgar Allen Poe, Janet Joplin, Willa Cather and Mitt Romney. I'm not sure if I am a Mormon, but I am if my grandparents had a say in the matter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's not how the baptism for the dead works. I know this is a super old post but I just want to clear it up. Just because someone has been baptized after having passed away, it doesn't make them Mormon. The individual for whom the ordinance was performed still has to accept the ordinance. Also, its not like we baptize dead people, we use ourselves as like a place holder. For example, if I were to be baptized for the dead, I would represent a dead relative and be baptized under their name by someone who held the authority to perform the ordinance.

GGoss said...

That does clarify matters. Let's hope that Hitler, after his death, accepted the ordinance.