Monday, June 13, 2022

The Worst Court Ever

Our current Supreme Court has six members on it committed to repealing or misreading any law that gives women or people of color the rights reserved for the white male caste. Our court was carefully assembled to block legal attempts to weaken racism or sexism. But is it our worst court ever?

I looked at the constitution, in which the Supreme Court is called "the supreme Court." The word "supreme" is not capitalized.  I don't know why, but I'm for it.

What our founders--slave owners--expected of the court, I do not know, except that it should defend slavery.  I can see how the court turned out. It's the most authoritarian branch of government, consisting of nine unelected attorneys with jobs for life. Throughout our history (with some exceptions) the court has found inventive reasons to help suppress women, Amerindians, black people, brown people and poor people. 

When liberals get bills passed and signed by presidents, the court's job is to gut those bills. 

I grew up under the Warren Court, an exception, as I have finally realized. Our current court is like our courts before and after the Civil War.  A bigoted Supreme Court is normal.

No comments: