Tuesday, June 2, 2020

1969

By 1969 I had finished my military service and enrolled in graduate school about a hundred miles from Woodstock. When hundreds of thousands of people gathered in Washington to protest the war in Vietnam, I joined in. Those were the days, eh? (Have I ever told you about Creedence?)

Like many others, I got teargassed, but unlike most others, I had been trained in teargas by the army. Not a problem.


In comparing the protests in 1969 to those today, I have to say that the movement today is bigger, more diverse, more dangerous (in a pandemic) and more important. 1969 did have better music and stronger Thai stick, but what is happening right now is awesome.


If you are young and healthy, you might want to get out there. You don't want to miss it. (I missed on Woodstock. I was invited but said that i had a paper due and that I'd catch the next concert.)

No comments: