Tuesday, October 29, 2019

You Know How to Order

In San Francisco, refugees from fire, we had lunch today at a Chinese place recommended by our son-in-law. We drove to a small Asian enclave on Balboa, where we ordered a large meal for about eight bucks each. This was one of those places without any barbarians present, except for us, and, as often happens, a Chinese customer said to us, "You know how to order."

The first time that had happened, I had swelled with pride. Today I wonder what the speaker means. It's pretty clear we do not know how to order to best advantage in a Chinese restaurant. We always order too much food, so maybe "you know how to order" means "You ordered way too much food."

Or "you know how to order" may be ironic, meaning that we don't know jack from soy sauce. But the Chinese who say it are usually loud, warm and friendly, which suits me. They seem to be a confident and intrusively social bunch, my kind of individuals.  

Maybe "you know how to order" is just a welcoming cry intended to encourage barbarians in general.  In my case it is often followed by an offer from someone at the next table to teach me how to use chopsticks.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Gary--Best wishes to you and your family during this uncertain time. I hope all returns to normal when you get home. MSNBC carried an item about the California fires that included a report from a Healdsberg, so of course I thought of you. Again, hope all is well, Phil