Friday, April 27, 2018

Old Age

My wife’s younger sister died recently. That did not surprise my wife, who saw that her sister was not taking care of herself. I was surprised because I don’t often think in those terms. My view is that longevity is determined by genes and good luck. Yet I attempt to eat vegetables, which I don’t always like, and I ride my bike, which I enjoy. I suppose that’s my version of Pascal’s wager. 


As you age, people fall away. Eventually everyone you grew up with vanishes. I had a friend, Lucy, who lived to be over 100. That must be strange. Your contemporary kith and contemporary are entirely gone except in dreams. Where did they go? You know what happened and yet you don’t. These absences don’t feel right. There are questions you forgot to ask and things you might have done.


No comments: