Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Delusions

Long ago I realized that global warming was going to change our climate and make the sea rise, but I found no way to stop it. Our economic system, devoted to short term profit, could not be budged. 

Fifteen years ago I recognized that it was now too late. The planet will get hotter and the seas will rise. What’s left is to try to slow things a little and search for ways to address the problems. But the money-grubbers are still hard at work, slowing planning, preventing mitigation. 

More recently I understood that science was saying that the changes might come in surges. For example, there is in Antarctica one giant glacier that, when it collapses, will raise the sea level ten feet in a few years. And there is nothing I can do to stop it. 


I can suggest that my grandchild live on high ground.

No comments: