Sunday, November 6, 2016

Mom Vs. Dad

George Lakoff came up with the idea that the way your original family was constructed often has an impact on how you vote. In our family my mother was the most intelligent, loving, empathic and strongest among us, and my father was a bigot. For me the choice between mom and dad in the current election was easy. 

Of course, many people rebel against their early family structure. 

I loved my parents. Living with my mother was not always easy for the rest of us, and it had some negative implications. My father’s bigotry seldom resulted in overt behavior. He was a solid man we could depend on. It would not make sense to compare him to an orange pig with tiny hands, for instance.


What strikes me most about the current election is Donald Trump’s  sociopathic racism. Nothing could be more obvious; yet more than 40% of the country is going to vote for him. You can’t vote for an obvious racist without being a racist, no matter who you are. You are a person who votes for racism. This is daunting--as ancient as I am, after a lifetime of opposing racism, I remain ignorant. Until this election I had no idea how powerfully racist this country still is, although that is what people of color have kept saying. 

Also on Facebook

No comments: