Thursday, November 3, 2016

Ignoring the Damsels

Our Santa Rosa newspaper, the Corporate Democrat, seldom prints an intelligent letter. It prefers to publish propaganda from the hirelings of the rich or downright idiocy from the alt.right. One letter today caught my interest. It was from a male who believed that we could limit abortions if we appointed a committee composed of 50 grandmothers, 50 mothers and 50 maidens to settle the issues involved. 

For me this begged a question, what do 50 losing race horses (of either sex) have to do with medical ethics?

My wife claimed that the letter writer was talking about women, not horses of either sex, and that he was probably 600 years old and spoke Proto German. For him “maiden” meant something like “servant” or “unmarried person.” She pointed to the traditions of archaic masculinity. I retorted that I doubted if he was a day over 90, and that if we are going to raise a committee “to significantly reduce the pregnancies terminated in the United States,” it should be diverse. If the proposed committee was to have 50 maidens, why leave out the colleens, the damsels, the bimbos and doxies? I’m just saying. 


No comments: