Thursday, July 25, 2013

Bacon and Weiner's Junk Mail


I have no problem with Anthony Weiner photographing his own junk and sending the pictures to consenting  young women on the Internet over a period of several years, but I wouldn't vote for him in a Democratic primary. I don't mean to be picking on him. We have elected an astonishing variety of people to high office of late. Perhaps the most striking example was Ronald Reagan, who led the Free World while senile. That, even in retrospect, seems not to worry us. But I draw the line at voting for a photographer. Of course, I admire the work of Ansel Adams--I think of him every time I pass a certain church in Bodega--and I deeply respect artists in general. But they make their contributions in a different way and on a different plane. Someone has pointed out that Weiner's root problem is that he is addicted to running for public office. He needs a good therapist to help him control the urge to seek votes. As a private citizen he would be able to focus on his talent, his natural endowment. He could develop his editing skills. As Bacon once wrote, "Natural abilities are like natural plants, that need pruning by study."

No comments: