Friday, August 31, 2012

Romney and Eye


I was watching the ball game on TV, but I managed to grab at some tiny bits of the Republican convention during the ads. I observed Romney reading from his teleprompter, "If you asked Ann and I. . . . "  That, of course, is like saying, "If you asked I." Now I do understand that many of my friends might make this overly elegant error, a common mistake, and I don't usually give a damn, but it ain't Presidential.  Either Romney's writers are incompetent or Romney "corrected" what he saw on the teleprompter. Obama , on the other hand, is a native speaker of English.

Chris Hayes made a sharp comment on Clint Eastwood's feeble improvisations on stage at the convention. Eastwood  pretended that President Obama was seated invisibly beside him and then attributed to him some unheard coarse language. Hayes suggested Eastwood might want to reread INVISIBLE MAN by Ralph Ellison.

No comments: