Thursday, January 12, 2023

Mother Russia

On YouTube I follow a Russian journalist who roams the nation doing man-in-the-street interviews, then posts them on the Internet. 

At times he will interview young adults. It will go something like this.

Reporter: Hello, I'm a journalist. Can you tell me what you think of Putin today?

Answer: Putin?  I don't follow politics.

R: But you have an opinion about Putin? 

A: Politics is for older people. I'm 19. Later I will take an interest.

R: What about the war?

A: My friends all hate the war, but I haven't paid attention. Goodbye.

__________________________

Or the reporter might go to a mud-road village and interview old people. They seem suspicious of him and drunk at times and angry. He might ask an old woman which foreign country she likes.

Woman: Russia.

Reporter: No, a different foreign country.

W: I only like Russia.

R: What about Poland?

W: I hate Poland. They are Fascists. I only like Russia.

R: What do  you think of Ukraine?

W: Ukraine is traitors. The first to be traitors. Why did they attack us? We will crush them like the Germans. Ukraine was stupid to attack us. How could they be so stupid?

R: The Americans?

W: We will step on them like snails. 

R: Which country has the most liberty?

W: Russia. Then China. People are free in China.

R: In China do people have to be careful what they say?

W: Yes, people should be careful. That is liberty. No nonsense. But things were better here in the Communist time. More food. I did not have to stand on the corner for the car with bread to come. We had a clubhouse down the road. It got torn down.

-------------------------

The young and old have different sources of information, of course. The Internet vs. television. 


No comments: