Wednesday, January 13, 2021

The Death of Laura Beach

 Laura Beach died yesterday. She and Bob Boardman, her husband, were a key couple in the revival of the Healdsburg Peace Project. They brought me in. They didn't know me--they knew my brother and gave me the stamp of approval. Laura and Susan, my wife, became close friends and stayed close to the end. 


Laura can't be replaced in our lives. We shared too many dinners and books and movies on television. Too many car rides to peace demonstrations, And Laura was absolutely unique in how she saw things. She was capable of a sharp analysis that took you by surprise. And no one was kinder or had more empathy.


I was visiting Laura and Bob when Bob was fading, and he said to her, "Laura, am I dying?" and she said, "The doctors have done everything for you they can."  Bob looked satisfied. What could be done, had been done. All was well. 

No comments: