Thursday, March 21, 2019

The Ides of March

I just watched a film released about eight years ago called "The Ides of March." It's film about how the world of practical politics will corrupt you.

As a young man I volunteered to work in a congressional campaign, After the campaign had ended, another volunteer, a 19-year-old girl, came to my apartment very upset. The candidate, a wealthy, handsome, personable man, had been having sex with her and then blew her off. Just like in "The Ides of March."

From that example and twenty others, where I saw friends betray one another and cut deals and manipulate those who were more innocent, I realized that practical politics was by its nature deeply flawed. And these were the good guys. I could join them (I was no better than they were) or I could get out and do something useful. I got out.

No comments: