Sunday, October 14, 2018

Comment on Voting (revised)

Some friends have asked me to comment on voting, so I will. Do not take me seriously.

California has a jungle primary in which the top two candidates go on to the general election. Sometimes that results in two Democrats running against each other.

The big contest in California is for the senate seat, where two Democrats are on the ballot, incumbent Dianne Feinstein vs. State Senator Kevin de Leon. I voted for de Leon in the primary. He’s to the left of Feinstein. But de Leon has run a misleading and unscrupulous campaign, so I am switching to Feinstein. I’m fed up with political nonsense.

In candidate races where there is a Democrat and a Rapepublican, I will vote for the Democrat. (No third party candidate survived the primary.) In the races where two Democrats face each other, I will vote for Hernandez for  Lt. Governor because he is experienced. For State Senator I will vote for Mike McGuire, the incumbent. He’s a skilled, professional progressive I once knew. As usual I know nothing about any of the judges up for election.

I will vote for Jim Wood to return to the assembly because he is rational, a scientist and progressive enough, although I may disagree with him on some issues. 

When it comes to the propositions I look at who is for them and who is against. If the proposition is supported by The Richey Rich Taxpayers To Hell With The Poor Association, Hooray for Greed, I know what to do. If the proposition is supported by the nurses union, I’m inclined to agree. If I’m conflicted I vote no, on the grounds that the state legislators should decided the matter—that’s what we pay them to do. 

Prop 1: Yes.

Prop 2: Yes.

Prop 3:Yes.

Prop 4:  Yes

Prop 5: No

Prop 6: No

Prop 7: Yes

Prop 8: Yes

Prop 9: This was the one designed to divide the state into three parts, giving us six senators. It was removed from the ballot.

Prop 10: Yes

Prop 11: No

Prop 12: Yes

Why vote at all? That is a fair question. If you live in a state and county that is always won by the same party, your vote for or against that party will change nothing. I live in such a place, a Democratic county and state. When we retired my wife specified that we move to a place where Rapepublicans lose. My voting here has no practical value, but it says that I remain committed to developing a democracy sometime in the distant future. 


Please pay no attention to any of the above.

No comments: