Saturday, September 29, 2018

The Borders (according to the Border Patrol)

Suppose I, born in Compton, sit on a bench at Courthouse Square (about 60 mules north of San Francisco). Can the Border Patrol grab me off that bench without a warrant, transport me to a local hospital, have medical personnel search my body cavities, feed me a pill to flush my bowels so they can inspect my turds and then tell the hospital to bill me for $5,000?  

Yes.  They do that to American citizens..


I'm fairly safe, though, because the Border Patrol uses a complexion code chart in their work, one that runs "from white to sallow to olive and black." I'm an old white man, and I sure as hell don't want to be sallow (whatever that is) or olive (green?).


I was surprised yesterday to read in Harper's that the Border Patrol makes warrantless arrests of American citizens all over its designated border areas, which are anyplace within 100 miles of a border. Borders include the Pacific Ocean, the Great Lakes, the Atlantic Ocean, the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada. The entire state of Michigan is border. So the Border Patrol is policing about 200 million citizens, and I am not talking about ICE.  

No comments: