Thursday, August 16, 2018

The Oil Off Coast

I have never voted for anyone who agreed with me 100%. I  remember a writer who claimed that even if he elected himself, he would soon find himself in disagreement with himself and calling himself a sell-out. Once you are in office and have to make decisions and compromises and strategic retreats and trades, everything changes.

Right now the Trump party is set on leasing the entire California coastline to oil companies determined to drill and make global warming worse. Leading the attempt to block this crime against the environment is State Senator Mike McGuire, who has authored a bill now under consideration. McGuire is our local representative. 


In effect we hire representatives to focus on details and provide the right kind of governance, to most of which we pay little attention. Some dudes drink all day and don’t do the work. I’m satisfied that McGuire does the work intelligently and conscientiously, although I don’t always agree with his positions or my own positions. I intend to vote for him in November. 

No comments: