Friday, July 13, 2018

The Liberal Democracies

Like others I am not watching as much TV news as I used to. In my case that’s because I can watch a woman deliver the news in the morning, and at night I get exactly the same news repeated by a man (because, as night falls, gravitas requires deeper voices).


Tonight I saw a damned fool from the editorial dept of the NY Times explain, for the ninth time, that when he refers to the liberal democracies of the world, he does not mean nations that lean left. Instead he is talking about a broader and older meaning of “liberal,”  one based on a belief in the democratic process, the rights of women, racial diversity, fair wages, the civil service, gay rights and health care for everyone. But none of the lefty stuff, no, ma’am. Never.   

No comments: