Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The Barrel

When I was about six, I erred in calling my step-grandfather “a barrel.” My mother sat me down and explained to me that I had hurt the old fellow’s feelings. I wasn’t sure how to react to this mild punishment. My step-grandfather had a lot of chocolate candy, but he hid it under this bed when I came over. 


What reminded me of this early incident was Hillary Clinton’s reference to half of Don Trump’s supporters as a “basket of deplorables.” Granted, she was talking about a mob of racist, homophobic know-nothings, but Hillary should not have brought up a basket, which she employed metaphorically, caring not who she cut to the quick. And then she deplored the contents of the fictional basket!  This cruelty crossed a line seldom approached in the history of American rhetoric. She indirectly called David Duke of the KKK and others like him “deplorable.” What unforgivable thing will she say next? 

No comments: