Friday, August 28, 2015

Get Out of My Country

A few days back we saw on TV the Univision anchor, Jorge Ramos, being shoved out of a Trump news conference by a hired Trump goon who looked about seven feet tall.  There was a follow up that didn't see much air time, an unpaid large white fellow in the hallway who shouted at Ramos, "Get out of my country." Ramos, of course, is an American citizen.

Two days later I saw on TV a sheriff who wanted to deport not only undocumented workers but also American citizens he considered unworthy. He wasn't talking about babies. He was talking about you and me. I kind of understood how he felt. I wanted to deport him--but who would take him?

All right, we have strange people holding office or running for office and trying to deport citizens, both babies and adults. The divide in this country is growing more bitter. The deporters are unlikely to win, but they aren't harmless. The next step, white vigilantes attacking the helpless in the dead of night, has begun to surface. It's up to each of us to intervene.

No comments: