Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Brave One

The anti-fluoride movement in Healdsburg, which has its roots in the John Birch Society, failed to repeal fluoridation today by a 2-1 vote. That's a victory for science, common sense and poor children, and I'm happy.  I'm happy to agree with the Press Democrat on this issue. But I noticed that the political figures I usually look to for leadership mostly failed to speak up. They knew fluoride is safe and useful, but they hedged around the issue, pretending to be reconsidering it.  The one exception that I know about was Jim Wood, our new assembly member. He was bluntly in favor of fluoridated water. Jim is a retired dentist. Jim has to look other scientists in the eye. Others might have decided that the issue was too toxic for discussion. Jim did the right thing and took a stand--and then he won big. (Jim Wood will be the only scientist in the state assembly.)     

No comments: