Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Dullness of George Will


Ludwig Wittgenstein wrote that if he met somebody who said he did not believe in science, he would not know how to talk to him. Science has a unique place in our belief system. Science has added 30 years to our life span. Science tests its claims. Science is as close to objective as we can get. 

I'm not a scientist, and I can't enter the scientific conversation about climate change. I don't know how to evaluate the math, any more than I can evaluate what I hear on the radio about Ukraine. In real life what people like me do is rely on experts. If nine out of ten scientists agree that the climate is changing, I accept that. They are probably right. But if I am a Republican dullard like George Will, I will deny climate change because I don't know the difference between the top of my head and a warm pizza with extra gluten.

No comments: