Wednesday, July 18, 2012

What Goes Around


When my grandmother died, my father brought home a cardboard box of old photos, and one day my brother and I went through them. To our shock we found an ancient shot of our grandfather dressed in the sheets of the KKK. Our father later explained that Grandpa had joined the KKK because they promised to serve free beer at their meetings. It turned out that they charged for their beer, and Grandpa quit in disgust after two meetings.

As you know, the Boy Scouts of America yesterday announced that they would continue to ban gays and lesbians from membership. I have to confess that about 65 years ago I was a BSA member. Now I can expect that someday my grandchild will be pawing through a cardboard box and find a photo of me in a Boy Scout uniform.

No comments: