Monday, March 26, 2012

New Teeth

My great-grandparents lived long enough for me to remember them, and one thing I recall is that my Irish great-grandmother, Mary (Berry) Strickland, who came over on the boat in 1865, loved FDR. Some provision of the New Deal paid for her to get nice white false teeth. She was old but she still liked to chew. My great-grandfather, Sylvester Streeter Strickland, became so envious of her oral beauty that he attempted to qualify for new white teeth by jerking out his old yellow fangs with a pair of pliers. He managed one or two, and then my father found him in the garage and talked him out of the rest of what had become a desperate struggle.

Contrast that with today. ObamaCare offers to pay for false teeth for certain snaggle-toothed dwellers in the Deep South. They hate Obama for it. They hope to get even.

No comments: