Thursday, June 10, 2010

McGuire and Fudge: Good People

As some of you recall, I supported both Debora Fudge and Mike McGuire for supervisor in the 4th district, where I live. Both are excellent people and strong progressive candidates. McGuire won by a twenty point margin--which I had predicted--and some people are asking why.

Several factors were involved, but the crucial factor was that Paul Kelley, the incumbent Republican, decided not to run for re-election. McGuire, as he has done in other races, campaigned for every vote in the district, including the Republicans. Fudge made his effort to gain Republican support a campaign issue. When votes were counted, Fudge and McGuire had split the progressive vote (I'm guessing), and McGuire took everyone else.

I note that McGuire won despite the endorsement of Fudge by the Press Corporate Democrat's rather dim editorial board.

We owe Debora Fudge and Mike McGuire our thanks for the efforts they put in representing progressive causes in a demanding campaign. I can't recall another election in which I had the luxury of admiring both candidates.

No comments: