Saturday, October 12, 2024

Manly Men


Toward the end of World War II, my father and I were walking along the Long Beach Pike,  carrying sweatshirts. I tied mine around my waist. My father stopped immediately and taught me that girls tied sweatshirts around their waists, but boys tied sweatshirts around their necks.  He was adamant. 

To my knowledge, the secret book of manliness has not yet been made public, but I learned a new rule last week. A talking head on Fox called Tim Walz effeminate for drinking milkshake through a straw. 

Real men, we know, carry pocketknives. They enjoy fistfights in the street. I have been passable in those areas.  Also I had raised a wolf, which might count for something. On the other hand, I recently drank a milkshake through a straw. Quite recently.

No comments: