Monday, November 6, 2023

Courthouse Square

Yesterday, at Courthouse Square, I joined about a hundred people standing in light rain. My object was to protest against the Hamas-Israeli war and in favor of a path to peace. 

The protest, I read later, was controlled by the North Coast Coalition for Palestine and Jewish Voice for Peace. They held the microphone. No one else spoke.

I'd attended to protest against the killing of civilians, not to support one side in a war. 

I found several protestors who believed that if a soldier of Hamas cut up a living baby in front of its Israeli parents, that wasn't terrorism; it was patriotism. 

The sole speaker called for a cease fire and, at the same time, an attack to drive Israel into the sea. And so on. This was not a peace rally.

Keep in mind that Israeli bombings had killed more than 3,000 children in three weeks. War crimes.  

MLK told us that violence against children (or anyone) corrupts you. If you witness evil, speak against it. What would he say about the Hamas murders and the IDF bombings? 

When I got home, I watched, on TV, a man attempting to find a path to peace, Sec. of State Blinken. That is his job. He met with a series of corrupt regional leaders no one trusts, looking for solutions. Meanwhile America is not committed to peace. Biden is losing support.

I am 88. This morning I woke thinking about my mother, who died 40 years ago, lost in the war we call life itself. I believe she was disappointed in how her country was behaving. 


No comments: