Monday, December 6, 2021

Death Rates

About 88% of the citizens of Healdsburg (over the age of 5) are vaccinated. The science and compliance are set.

Everywhere the COVID death rate for vaccinated people is lower than the death rate for unvaccinated people. 

The central goal of the vaccination is to prevent most but not all deaths. 

Making it necessary for most people to get vaccinated is how the entire world eliminated smallpox and controlled polio in my lifetime. 

The basic problem with a medical issue is one of trust. I'm not a scientist. But, as Bertrand Russell once wrote, if 95% of the experts advise a course of action, your best bet is to follow it. They could all be wrong, but what are the odds? The doctors are probably right. This is a probability question.

Each of us has to decide whom to trust. No one is infallible, but I trust my doctor and modern medicine in general. 

It is true that many anti-vaxers are good people, but I do not trust the Trump machine, which is pushing the current anti-vax movement for political reasons.  

My doctor has made and will make mistakes, but she's my best bet for guidance.

No comments: