Monday, December 12, 2016

Why Trump Will Be My President

Garrison Keillor has stated that Trump will never be his President because Trump doesn't read books and so on. I wish I could say that. Unfortunately, Trump will be my President, because I'm not lucky or wise. 

Here's the deal. I don't vote in Presidential elections because my vote matters. It has never mattered in the least. Presidents are chosen by electors. In this last election, the person I voted for won by about three million votes and came in second. The vote that matters is cast by electors in an imaginary Electoral College, which was designed by our founding fathers to prevent people like me, unlucky and unwise, from electing Presidents.

Many of our elections are democratic. For example the governor of my state is elected by a vote of the people, unwise as many of us are. That's a poor system but one I can support (barely).

Voting in a Presidential election serves only one purpose, which is to say, "I participate in this system and thereby accept its outcome." I voted in the system, so Trump will be my President. I committed myself to the system that produced him. (I'm wondering if I should make that mistake again.)

No comments: