Thursday, January 1, 2015

Bill's Place

Four or five times my son-in-law Mark has led the family to Bill's Place, an ancient hamburger joint at 2315 Clement in San Francisco. I like hamburger joints, and I liked Bill's, not giving the matter much thought. Then I saw the joint reviewed on CHECK PLEASE, BAY AREA, a TV show. It seems that Bill's is a San Francisco institution. I immediately wanted to go back, and we returned yesterday.

Bill's in a plain old place, nothing fancy, except that it has impressive chandeliers (!) and a coy pond in the back. And you can watch the food being prepared. 

I sat down and ordered, careful not to make the mistake one doofus made on CHECK PLEASE. He wasted a seat in Bill's by ordering a salad and clam chowder, and then complained that the food was mediocre. I ordered a cheeseburger, as God intended. It was named for a rock musician, had a lot of onions on it and some thousand island dressing. It was delicious. I also ordered a chocolate shake, which came in one of those 1950s metal shake-holders, and it contained enough shake for two large glasses, so I shared.   

No comments: