Friday, August 29, 2014

Answering Phones

My destiny caught up with me, and I agreed to volunteer at Democratic HQ for four hours a week from now until November. That is not because I enjoy answering phones or consider the Democratic party to be other than it is: a broad coalition of union, corporate and other groups. The other groups include African-Americans, gays, Latinos, women, Jews, young people and anyone with common sense.

Even billionaires with common sense understand that it's in their interest to keep ordinary people smiling and society functional. I'm one of the ordinary people, and like 90% of  America I never set out to get rich. My goal was to become a decent person. Okay, I've fallen short of that, but is there any greater myth than the claim that the American Dream is to get rich? (What about the strange claim that expressing opinions on the 'net accomplishes something political?)

No comments: