Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My Insincere Beliefs

One of my parents was a fallen away Catholic and the other was a fallen away Protestant. I was raised like a rope in a tug-of-war in which neither side pulled. As a consequence, my religious beliefs are insincere.  This might be true of many American Christians. For example, I am insincerely committed to the Ten Commandments, including "Thou shalt not kill." I served in the navy and the army.

 As you know, the United States Supreme Court, which has a ton of power and no credibility, has decided that certain corporations, owned by people with sincerely-held religious beliefs, have the right to withhold contraception from their employee health care plans.  Corporations have this right to withhold contraceptive coverage, because corporations are people, and they can be sincerely religious corporations. My point is that I am a person, too, just like a corporation but smaller.

Like some corporations, I have an employee. A hard-working lady comes twice a month to clean my floors.  I pay her about $25 an hour. I know what you will say, that I have no stake in which contraceptives women employ as long as I don't have to use a condom. But I resent having my right to impose my beliefs on working women limited by the Supreme Court because I'm insincere.


No comments: