Friday, February 14, 2014

How to Decode Issues: Fluoridation


If you approach fluoridation as a health issue, then what matters is your attitude toward science and scientific organizations. I am not a scientist myself, and, of course, I have not run an experiment design to measure how effective or deadly fluoridation is. I rely on work done by experts.

I am aware that more than 60% of Americans drink fluoridated water. Others use fluoridated toothpaste. Many have done so throughout their lives. I can look at all this usage as a gigantic test of fluoridation. According to the World Health Organization, the effect has been beneficial.

I read that the functions of fluoridated water are to slow tooth decay and to rebuild tooth enamel. Fluoridation is endorsed by the World Health Organization, the dental societies of Europe, Canada, Australia, the United States, etc. It is endorsed by the Surgeon General and the  Center for Disease Control. The National Academy of Sciences report that there is no evidence fluoridation causes cancer or any other problem except, in rare cases, discoloration of the teeth. The cost of fluoridated water runs about one dollar per person per year. I would guess that those who benefit most are poor children without access to fluoridated toothpaste. 

The counter arguments are (1) in a free society, a parent has the right to let his children's teeth rot (really?); and (2) if you take in too much fluoride or salt or water you will die (true); and (3) a tiny number of scientists oppose the use of fluoride (so what?); and (3) science is not absolutely certain that the use of fluoride is helpful (true). Science is not absolute about much. Science does have a few laws, but they are actually explanations that are so well tested that we can, for the time being, take them for granted. Examples might be the theory that the world is billions of years old, the theory of gravity and the theory of natural selection. These theories may be modified in the future, but for now they do us good service. They help scientists make flu vaccines.

It comes down to this. I am not a scientist. I must, as a rational person, trust the solidly established science of my era. And I have no idea how to talk to a clerk who believes that he or she knows more about the impact of fluoridated water than the World Health Organization.

No comments: