Sunday, October 31, 2010

ON BOARDING THE TITANIC

Van Jones, community organizer, recently said, "I thought I was on the Amistad and the goal was to free the slaves. Instead I was on the Titanic."

Before the current depression began, more than one billion adults on this planet were unemployed. No jobs existed for these hungry people. Most of them, of course, lived in the Southern Hemisphere--out of sight, out of mind. They won't always be out of sight. They are beginning to act on Sam Kinison's exasperated advice: "Go where the food is!"

The absurd economic and political systems around the world, run by corporate executives, balmy dictators and kings, are crumbling. I take no pleasure in that because I have no idea what is coming next or at what speed, but one prediction seems safe: progressives need to prepare for change.

No comments: