Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Killing Random Officers

In my work as a college teacher, I came into contact with maybe a hundred police officers over the years. One of two or them were nuts and very dangerous. The rest struck me as intelligent, careful, interesting and engaging people. Like me these individual human beings, who had spouses and children, had been born into the working class, and like me they had gone into public service because it offered solid jobs. The current epidemic of murdering police officers is beyond vile.

Today's chasm of mistrust between many police departments and minority communities is genuine and earned. An entirely new relationship needs to be worked out. There is something wrong with the structure of our nation when unarmed black men die in the streets and random police officers get shot in the back. We need a major overhaul.

No comments: